Donald Trump has canceled a press conference for next Monday at which he had promised to reveal “irrefutable” evidence to “clear himself” of racketeering charges in Georgia.
The former president, who was charged this week in Georgia with conspiracy to overturn the 2020 election results, said on Thursday his lawyers would instead advance his arguments in court.
“Instead of releasing the report on the rigged and stolen Georgia 2020 presidential election on Monday, my lawyers would rather include this, I believe, irrefutable and overwhelming evidence of electoral fraud and irregularities in formal legal documents,” Trump said on Truth Social .
Therefore, he added, the press conference was no longer necessary.
Trump had claimed on Tuesday that he would publish a 100-page dossier at the event, to be held in Bedminster, New Jersey, which would be “convincing” evidence of his innocence.
Prosecutors filed 13 charges on Monday in connection with an alleged “criminal enterprise” of racketeering in the state after he lost the presidential election to Joe Biden.
Trump responded to the allegations by accusing the prosecutor, Fani Willis, of being “out of control and highly corrupt.”
Lawyers seek 2026 trial for Jan. 6 case
On Thursday, Mr Trump’s lawyers called for an April 2026 trial date for the federal allegations that he had conspired to overturn the 2020 election — long after next year’s presidential election.
The request comes as Chief Prosecutor Jack Smith is pushing for a Jan. 2 start date in the case, one of four criminal charges Trump faces during his White House re-election campaign.
“The public interest lies in justice and due process, not in a rush to judge,” the ex-president’s lawyers said in their filing.
They argued that processing the volume of documents in the case would take months.
“Assuming we could start reviewing the documents today, we would need to continue at a pace of 99,762 pages a day to complete the government’s first production by the proposed jury selection date,” they said.
“That’s the entirety of Tolstoy’s War and Peace, from cover to cover, 78 times a day, every day, from now until the jury’s selection.”
Judge Tanya Chutkan will decide on the date of the trial on August 28.
“The government’s proposed (January 2) trial date represents an appropriate balance between the defendant’s right to prepare a defense and the public’s strong interest in a speedy trial in the case,” Smith said earlier in the statement. lawsuit asking for it to start in January.
Expand your horizons with award-winning British journalism. Try The Telegraph for 1 month free, then enjoy 1 year for just $9 with our US exclusive offer.