HomeTop StoriesFM condemns the attack on Israel and reiterates the call for a...

FM condemns the attack on Israel and reiterates the call for a ceasefire

The Prime Minister has condemned Iran’s attack on Israel, describing it as an ‘extremely worrying development’.

Humza Yousaf said all parties in the Middle East must adhere to UN Security Council resolutions and implement an immediate ceasefire.

He added that “violence begets violence” and that civilians in the region had already “paid far too high a price.”

The Prime Minister stood by his call for an end to British arms sales to Israel.

Iran launched more than 300 drones and missiles toward Israel, the country’s military said. Other projectiles were fired from Iran, Iraq, Syria and Yemen.

The attack in Tehran is in retaliation for an Israeli strike that killed Iranian military commanders in Damascus earlier this month. But it also comes after months of war between Israel and Hamas, after the group attacked Israel on October 7.

Mr Yousaf has repeatedly called for a ceasefire in the region and criticized Israel’s response to Hamas’ attacks on October 7, which killed around 1,200 people and took 253 others hostage.

See also  Let the rules go | Unique New York with Rachel Holt

The Israeli army launched an air and ground campaign in the Gaza Strip. More than 30,000 Palestinians have been killed in that campaign, according to the Hamas-run Health Ministry.

British involvement

Speaking on Sunday morning, Mr Yousaf said the “vast majority” of those killed in the Gaza conflict were innocent women and children. He said Israel has an advanced military and can defend itself without British-made weapons.

Mr Yousaf urged escalation in the region.

“It’s not the men in suits in governments who are paying the price for that escalation, it’s innocent civilians.” he said.

The British government has confirmed that RAF fighter jets have taken part in the defense of Israel, shooting down a number of drones fired from Iran.

Additional RAF jets were deployed over Iraq and Syria and not over Israel, the Ministry of Defense (MoD) said.

Mr Yousaf said he has asked the British government for a briefing on the situation but has not yet received one. He added that he would be “concerned” about British military involvement in the Middle East.

See also  Unemployment claims in Louisiana fell last week

“Our track record in that region is not particularly good,” he said. Mr Yousaf said he did not want the “ripples” of the Middle East conflict to be felt in communities in Scotland, but admitted his calls for a ceasefire in the region “have fallen on deaf ears ”.

The prime minister’s in-laws were trapped in Gaza for almost a month at the start of the conflict and eventually managed to leave Egypt via the Rafah border crossing.

- Advertisement -
RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments