(Reuters) – Former US Vice President Mike Pence has qualified for the first Republican debate of the 2024 US presidential campaign on August 23 in Milwaukee, his campaign team said on Tuesday.
Pence initially seemed to risk not entering the debate, which is open only to those who have received the support of 40,000 individual donors.
The Pence campaign told Fox News — which hosts the debate — on Monday that the goal had been met. Pence is stuck in single digits in polls, far behind former President Donald Trump, who has said he plans to skip the debate.
“Mike Pence made quick and easy work of the donor threshold and he looks forward to a substantive debate,” spokesman Devin O’Malley said in a statement. “Hopefully former President Trump has the courage to show up.”
In addition to Trump, Pence and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, at least five other candidates appeared on track to qualify: former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley, North Dakota Governor Doug Burgum, former New York Governor Jersey Chris Christie, US Senator Tim Scott and entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy.
(Reporting by David Ljunggren; Editing by Jonathan Oatis)