HomeTop StoriesMan dies after being electrocuted at Georgia's Lake Lanier

Man dies after being electrocuted at Georgia’s Lake Lanier

AP Top Stories July 30 – PM

AP Top Stories July 30 – PM


CUMMING, Ga. (AP) — A 24-year-old man died after being electrocuted when he jumped off a dock into Lake Lanier on Thursday, news outlets reported.

The Georgia Department of Natural Resources told news outlets that a neighbor was able to pull the man from the water. The man was taken to Northside Forsyth Hospital where he later died.

WAGA-TV reported that the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office identified the man as Thomas Milner.

Lake Lanier, Ga.
FILE – A boat passes along Lake Lanier, April 23, 2013, in Buford, Ga. 

David Goldman / AP

The sheriff’s office told the news outlet that neighbors took a boat over to try to help Milner and one person jumped in the water. That person said that he felt a burning sensation that he recognized as an electrical shock. He swam ashore, turned off the power, and then re-entered the water to help Milner.

Electric shock drowning can occur when electrical current leaks into surrounding waters, causing a swimmer to become incapacitated, according to the Electric Shock Drowning Prevention Association, an organization dedicated to raising awareness and educating people on the risks of electric shock in water.

See also  Man in soccer jersey exposed himself twice to woman, followed her to Gwinnett apartment, police say
- Advertisement -


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments