HomeBusinessWhy US superconductor stocks jumped 8% today

Why US superconductor stocks jumped 8% today

American superconductor (NASDAQ:AMSC) is a green energy company, and helping power grids “optimize network reliability, efficiency and performance” provides approximately 84% of the company’s revenue, while providing wind turbine control systems accounts for the remaining 16% takes. But did you know that American Superconductor also plays a role as a defense stock in its spare time?

I know. I was as surprised as you were when I heard this. But it’s true.

It’s also why shares of American Superconductor are up 8.7% today as of 1:00 PM ET.

American Superconductor’s major military contract

American Superconductor announced today that it has won a $75 million “multi-year, multi-unit supply contract” with Canadian shipbuilder Irving Shipbuilding, the company that builds 80% of Canada’s naval vessels. Beginning in 2026, American Superconductor will supply Ship Protection Systems (SPS) to Irving for installation aboard Royal Canadian Navy ships.

See also  I'm going to start withdrawing money from my retirement account. Does this affect my tax bracket?

SPS is a naval mine protection system already in use on large U.S. Navy amphibious warships, and it will soon be installed on much smaller RCN Surface Combatant Ships, a new class of ships roughly equivalent in size to the U.S. (Flight I) Arleigh Burke- class destroyers. SPS works by “degaussing” the ship to reduce a ship’s magnetic signature, making it less “visible” to mines. American Superconductor described the ability to produce SPS with a “smaller footprint” as a “breakthrough … in world-class mine protection.”

The company also believed the breakthrough could help it drive international growth in this new military segment of the business.

Is American Superconductor stock a buy?

American Superconductor has grown quite well without the new military activities. According to data from S&P Global Market Intelligence, sales have grown approximately 21% annually over the past five years.

While the stock isn’t yet profitable, American Superconductor generated positive free cash flow for the first time since the pandemic began last year and is expected to become non-GAAP profitable this year – with GAAP earnings arriving sometime after 2025. still an obvious buy, I think stocks are watching it.

See also  Nvidia Is Buying Stock in These 5 AI Companies. Should You Do the Same?

Should You Invest $1,000 in American Superconductor Now?

Before you buy shares in American Superconductor, consider the following:

The Motley Fool stock advisor The analyst team has just identified what they think is the 10 best stocks for investors to buy now… and American Superconductor wasn’t one of them. The ten stocks that survived the cut could deliver monster returns in the coming years.

Think about when Nvidia created this list on April 15, 2005… if you had $1,000 invested at the time of our recommendation, you would have $767,173!*

Stock Advisor provides investors with an easy-to-follow blueprint for success, including portfolio building guidance, regular analyst updates, and two new stock picks per month. The Stock Advisor is on duty more than quadrupled the return of the S&P 500 since 2002*.

View the 10 stocks »

*Stock Advisor returns June 10, 2024

Rich Smith has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Why American Superconductor Stock Soared 8% Today was originally published by The Motley Fool

See also  US futures are heading lower as Nvidia's AI rally shows signs of fatigue
- Advertisement -
RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments